Collection "Great Italian Violinmaking" inside San Vidal Church
Adapted from "La Grande Liuteria Italiana" by Artemio Versari.
Ferdinando Garimberti was born in 1894 in Mamiamo di Traversetolo, a village near Parma. In 1902 the family moved to Milan, where his father managed a trattoria. In around 1910-11, one of the trattoria customers, Romeo Antoniazzi, invited Ferdinando to apprentice with him for several months. Later, Garimberti met Riccardo Antoniazzi. The brothers introduced him to Leandro Bisiach, who immediately sought out his collaboration. He was enlisted in the war in 1914, and after his release he settled down in Turin until 1918. He managed a bar there but Bisiach invited him to return to Milan, where he returned in 1920; in Milan he also assisted Pedrazzini. It was not long before he set up his own business, the beginning of a successful career. He studied music and learned how to play the cello. Garimberti won awards in exhibitions in Rome, Padua and Cremona. He taught at the International School of Violin Making from 1963 to 1964. He worked intensely until late in his life and died in Milan in 1982. His style remained rather costant. His work is scrupulous, extremely precise and elegant, the fruit of his fine craftsmanship. He used Amati, Guarneri, Guadagnini and Stradivari models, in addition to a personal model inspired by Stradivari. He also restored instruments and was considered a fine expert in antique Italian instruments.